Employment Services and Labor Market Observatories: Opportunities and Challenges in the Hemisphere
- Continue the dialogue started during the Workhsop “Supporting economic growth through effective employment services” that took place in Cancún , Mexico in September, 2004. This Workshop was an IACML activity supported by the Ministerial Council and the Secretariat of the North-America Agreement on Labor Cooperation.
- Share experiences on the following topics:
- The role of employment policies in the challenges of the region, as well as the importance of labor market policies, such as employment services and labor market information systems, in articulating economic and social policies.
- The construction of an employment service, particularly regarding their institutional framework, as well as building the necessary skills and technology to operate them.
- Institutional cooperation among public and private sectors, as well as among government authorities (federal – state/province).
- Labor observatories within labor market information systems.
- Adapting employment services to the challenges of the Latin American reality to address particular problems, such as informal economy, women, small and micro businesses and specific vulnerable groups, among others.
The Seminar “Employment Services and Labor Market Observatories: Opportunities and Challenges in the Hemisphere”, which took place in Cocoyoc, Morelos, Mexico on November 7, 2006, was organized by the Secretariat of Labor and Social Welfare (STPS) of Mexico, with the support of the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare of Chile and the Department of Social Development and Employment, SEDI of the Organization of American States (OAS).
This Seminar is part of the activities of the Inter-American Network for Labor Administration (RIAL), which is the cooperation mechanism of the OAS Inter-American Conference of Ministers of Labor (IACML). The Seminar is an outcome of the Plan of Action of Mexico, approved during the XIV IACML in Mexico City in September, 2005. The STPS is the Chair pro tempore of the XIV IACML.
The Seminar was attended by representatives of the Ministries of Labor of 10 countries of the Americas , and some countries of the European Union. Also present were representatives from COSATE, CEATAL, the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), the International Labor Organization (ILO), the World Association of Public Employment Services (WAPES), as well as various observers.
On November 8-10, also in Cocoyoc, participants of this Seminar had the opportunity to assist to the Annual Meeting of the National Employment Service of Mexico and to the International Seminar on “ Youth Employment Strategies ”, organized by WAPES and STPS.
Session I- Recent Developments and Trends on Employment Services and Labour Market Information Systems
Session II - Employment Services and Labour Market Information Systems in the Latin American Scene: Opportunities and Challenges
This Workshop gathered technical representatives from Ministries of Labor of 10 countries of the Americas and international organizations to continue the dialogue on employment services that was started in September of 2004 in Cancun , also under the auspices of the Secretariat for Labor and Social Welfare of Mexico.
During one whole day, the participants were able to share experiences and innovative approaches to improve employability of workers through labor intermediation and labor market observatories. The presentations and discussions during the Workshop were very rich in contents and ideas, and they can be accessed through the event's website.
The Conclusions document, presented by the Department of Social Development and Employment of the OAS at the end of the Seminar, provides a summary of the main topics discussed and of the challenges that employment services and labor market observatories are currently facing: