- To exchange experiences on successful labor inspection models during a Workshop of the InterAmerican Network for Labor Administration (RIAL).
- Continue the discussion on the topics and tasks assigned by the Declaration and Plan of Action of Port of Spain 2007 to the Working Groups of the IACML:
- Working Group 1: “Decent Work as an Instrument for Development and Democracy in the Context f Globalization”, and
- Working Group 2: “Strengthening the Capacities of the Ministries of Labor to Respond to the Challenges of Promoting Decent Work in the Context of Globalization”.
- Begin the preparatory process of the XVI IACML that will take place in Buenos Aires, Argentina from September 23 to 25, 2009.
This Workshop was part of the IACML Calendar of Activities for 2008-2009, and it was attended by 26 delegations, representatives from the advisory bodies, COSATE and CEATAL, as well as the ILO.
Panel 1 - Steps taken to attain greater effectiveness, impact, and coverage of labor inspection
Panel 2 – Actions to ensure compliance with standards and improve working conditions
Panel 3 – Strategies for optimizing oversight and supervision and for combating corruption in labor inspections
Final considerations regarding the challenges facing labor inspection in the current economic climate