Labor Dimension of Globalization and Free Trade Agreements: Impacts and Labor Provisions
- Gain a broader understanding of the labor dimension of globalization, in particular, the impact of growing economic interdependence (trade, investment, finance and the organization of production globally) on employment and wages.
- Deepen the analysis of the objectives and components of labor provisions incorporated in FTAs and acknowledge how these provisions have evolved.
- Analyze the role of Ministries of Labor in trade negotiations.
This Workshop was part of the IACML Calendar of Activities for 2010-2011, and it was held prior to the First Working Groups Meeting within the framework of the XVI IACML.It was jointly organized by the Canadian Labour Program, the Ministry of Labor of the Dominican Republic and the Organization of American States (OAS).
- Officers from the Ministries of Labour of 26 OAS Member States responsible for international relations
- Representatives from COSATE and CEATAL
- Representatives from ILO, ECLAC, European Commission, civil society, researchers, as well as experts in the field
Panel 1 – Labor impact of globalization
Panel 2 – Labor provisions of free trade agreements and integration processes